Collection & Containers
The City of White Rock provides weekly curbside recycling for single family homes, eligible townhouses and apartment complexes of 6 units or less. Recycling is collected in 3 streams and items must be sorted into the appropriate container for recycling:
- Red box is for non-deposit glass container recycling
- Yellow bag is for paper / cardboard / newspaper recycling
- Blue box is for plastic and metal container recycling
There is a fee for red and blue recycling boxes. Recycling bags and recycling boxes for single family homes are available for pick up at specific City facilities.
Which Container to Put Recycling In?
Not sure if the materials should be placed in the blue box, yellow bag or red box for recycling?
- Enter the name of the item in Put Waste In Its Place and it will tell you if it should be recycled in the blue box, red box or yellow bag or taken to the depot for recycling
- View a brochure of Recycling Materials Collected Curbside (PDF)
Please do not put recycling curbside in any other type of bag or container. These containers will not be collected.
- Cardboard must be flattened, folded or cut to fit inside the yellow recycling bag. We cannot collect larger pieces of cardboard so the crews will leave any cardboard that is not in the recycling bag.
- Do you have excess cardboard to recycle? Contact the BC Recycling Hotline at 604-732-9253 or visit their website at RCBC Recyclepedia for nearby cardboard recycling locations. There is no public recycling drop off locations in White Rock.
- It is important that only the correct items go in your recycling bag and boxes. If your bag or box contains items the City does not collect curbside, we can not collect your recycling. If possible, the crew will leave a sticker on the bag or box to let you know why it could not be collected.
Recycable Materials That Must Be Taken to a Depot (not collected curbside)
|Batteries||Exhausted rechargeable batteries and household alkaline batteries are accepted||Batteries weighing in excess of 5 kilograms (11 pounds) will not be accepted|
|Lights||For fluorescent light tubes, incandescent, halogen, and light emitting diodes (LED's). Also included are ceiling fixtures and chandeliers, Christmas light strings, flashlights, wall fixtures, table and desk lamps.|
Drop-off depots can accept up to 16 bulbs and 16 tubes at a time, in any shape up to 8 feet in length.
|Plastic bags and overwrap||Plastic bags for groceries and dry cleaning, bags for bread, newspapers and flyers; pre-washed salad bags; bags for produce and dry bulk foods; frozen vegetable bags; outer wrap for soft drink can flats; outer bags for diapers; overwrap on mattresses, furniture and electronic equipment|
|Plastic foam containers, trays and packaging|
Clean meat trays; foam egg cartons; foam clamshells; cups and bowls for take out food
Packing foam to protect electronics, small appliances, etc.
|Refundable cans and bottles||For aluminum cans, plastic water and juice containers, plastic and glass drink jugs, juice boxes and cartons. Glass liquor bottles, Bag-in-a-Box beverages and drink pouches.||Any beverage containers that at time of purchase a recycling deposit was charged.|
|Small electronics and appliances||For TVs, computers, DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, mp3 players, cameras, non-cellular phones, answering machines and headphones. Along with storage media: VHS tapes, CDs, floppy disks, DVDs and vinyl records.||To view a full list of accepted materials please visit Return It Depots.|
Please recycle at your local depot. The nearest depot to White Rock:
Return It Semiahmoo Bottle Depot
15515 24th Avenue
Surrey, BC V4A 2J4
Recycle BC is a non-profit organization responsible for residential packaging and printed paper recycling throughout British Columbia. The City of White Rock participates in the Recycle BC program. For more information on the program please visit Recycle BC.