Building Department


The City of White Rock Building Division administers Building Permits, under Building Bylaw No. 1928. Building Permits are utilized to ensure that construction within the City meets the minimum health and safety requirements under provincial construction regulations and to ensure it complies with the City’s Bylaws, including the City’s Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan.

When do you need a Building Permit?

A building permit is required for most construction activity that occurs on private property including:

  • constructing a new building or structure (including accessory buildings)
  • repairs, renovations or addition to an existing building, including: removing, relocating, altering or constructing interior walls. As well, completing previously unfinished areas in existing building;
  • adding a secondary suite to a home;
  • constructing or installing a swimming pool, hot tub or spa pool;
  • demolishing, relocating or moving a building;
  • constructing a retaining wall(s) 1.2m in height or greater;
  • constructing a cover or enclosing a porch or sundeck; and
  • change of occupancy (a commercial space changes from an office space to a retail store).

A building permit is not required for the following the activity:

  • landscaping;
  • constructing a single retaining wall that is less than 1.2m in height; and
  • general building maintenance such as painting, replacing flooring, or replacing roofing.

If you would like clarification if the work you are wanting to do requires a Building Permit, please contact our Building Division Staff at or 604-541-2149.

What can you construct on your property?

What can be constructed on your property is governed by the City of White Rock’s Zoning Bylaw. To determine what your property is zoned, you can utilize White Rock’s Online Mapping System to search for your property and it’s zoning.

It is important to note that under the City of White Rock’s Official Community (under Section 23) some properties are subject to Development Permit Areas and additional Development Permit requirements. For example, properties within the City may be subject to additional environmental or flood protection requirements.

In addition to the Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan, it is important to be aware that the City has requirements in regard to the protection of trees within the community. Please review our Tree Management requirements in the early stages of the design of your project. A Tree Management Permit is required to be applied for in advance of your Building Permit application.

How to apply for a Building Permit?

In order to make a Building Permit application, an appointment is required with one of our Building Officials. Unfortunately, applications cannot be dropped off or mailed in; if an application is received in this manner it will be returned to the applicant. During your application appointment the Building Official will conduct a cursory review of your application to determine if it contains all of the required documentation and information for a detailed review to be conducted. If your  application is considered incomplete due to documents or information not being included, the application cannot be accepted by the Building Official and a subsequent appointment will be required.

In order to make an appointment for a Building Permit application please either call 604-541-2149 or email

In order to determine the documentation required for your Building Permit application please review the Building Permit application checklist, based upon the type of work you are proposing to do:

For additional information and details please review our Guide to Applying for a Building Permit or email or call us at 604-541-2149.

Construction Hours of Work

View excerpts from the Noise Regulation Bylaw (PDF). No person shall make, cause, or permit to be made or cause any noise or sound which is liable to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of individuals or the public. No works in connection with the construction, reconstruction, alteration or repair of any building or structure or carry on any excavation, land clearing, general maintenance or other related activity, or operate any kind of machinery, power equipment, construction equipment or engine.

The following are the hours of work for construction:

  • Monday to Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Saturday - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Sunday and British Columbia Statutory Holidays - 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    (Bylaw No. 2144; Sec. 7.4 and 7.5 Owner / Occupant must reside on property)

Notwithstanding section 7.4, on Sundays or Holidays between the hours of 9 a.m. in the morning and 6 p.m. in the evening, an owner or occupant of a residential property may conduct general maintenance or carry on works in connection with the construction, reconstruction, alteration or repair of any dwelling or structure located on the residential property upon which the owner or occupant resides. No construction for profit or gain is permitted on Sunday and BC Statutory Holidays. This means property owners can do construction work on Sunday on their own property, but cannot have any hired trades do any construction work on a Sunday and BC Statutory Holiday

Building Division – Public Information Bulletins